Animal Registration


All dogs and cats, three months of age and over, must be registered with your local Council. Existing registrations must be renewed by the 10th April each year. Registering your pet ensures Council can easily reunite pets with their owners when they go missing or become lost.

From 1 May 2007, all cat and dog owners are required to have their pets microchipped before being registered to comply with State Government legislation. This does not apply to pets that are already registered with Council.

Registering your Dog or Cat is a legal requirement under the Domestic Animals Act 1994. Failure to do so is an offence potentially attracting a $311 fine.

In 2015, lifetime tags were rolled out. This means that the tag that you received last year, will remain on your pets collar. If your animal loses the registration tag, a replacement tag can be supplied by contacting Council.

Registration fees enable Council to deliver a wide range of animal management services including but not limited to:

  • The pound
  • Patrols
  • Community information
  • Reconnecting missing pets with their owners
  • Assisting the public with all animal enquiries

New Registrations

New or existing pets can be registered for the first time by completing the City of Ballarat's Online Animal Registration Form. Alternatively, you can visit out Customer Service team in the The Phoenix, 25 Armstrong Street South, Ballarat or download the Animal Registration Form below and either submit it with payment in person to Customer Service, The Phoenix, 25 Armstrong Street South, Ballarat or by post to City of Ballarat, PO Box 655, Ballarat Vic 3353.

Please note that, by law, we are unable to register any new animal without microchip details.

Renewing Pet Registration.

You can renew your pet registration by completing and returning the yearly renewal notice that will be sent to you or by bringing your yearly renewal notice with payment to the Customer Service team in the Phoenix Building, 25 Armstrong Street South, Ballarat.

Payments may be made online using BPay, POSTBillpay or by using Council's eServices system.

How many animals can you keep?

A person must not, without a permit from Council, keep more than 2 dogs and/or 2 cats. This restriction does not apply to animals which are kept on farm land. For further information about Local laws regarding the keeping of animals refer 'Part 2 - Animals' of the Community Local Law No. 15 (PDF - 153KB) please see below link for excess animals application form in order to apply for a permit.  For state legislation regarding the keeping of dogs and cats, refer to the Department of Primary Industries Domestic Animals Act 1994.

Registration Forms & FeesTop of document.

Related Links : 

Registration Fees

  • A State Government Levy of $3.50/dog & $2.00/cat is included in the above fee. The levy is primarily used to fund Responsible Pet Ownership programs
  • Documentation must be presented to be eligible for the reduced registration fee
  • Holders of Pensioner Concession Cards are entitled to a 50% reduction on all fees except for dogs declared as Dangerous/Menacing or Restricted Breed
  • A dog that is microchipped and desexed up to 6 months age (initial registration ONLY) $0.00
  • A cat that is microchipped and desexed up to 6 months age (initial registration ONLY) $0.0

MicrochippingTop of document.

Each year, many pets are euthanized at animal shelters across the state because their owners are unable to be identified and contacted. Unlike a tag and collar, a microchip cannot break or fall off, making it a permanent form of identification that is effective for the life of the pet. If your pet is lost or injured, scanning for a microchip makes it easier to reunite you with your pet. Microchipping can also be used to identify dangerous dogs within the community.

Restricted Dog BreedsTop of document.

As of September 30 2011 Council can no longer accept new registrations for Restricted Breed dogs due to amendments to the Domestic Animals Act 1994.

For more information please contact Local Laws on 5320 5500 or visit the Agriculture Victoria Website

Visit our YouTube ChannelYouTube Snaps of Our City On InstagramInstagram Follow Us On TwitterTwitter Like Our Facebook Page and Stay UpdatedFacebook